Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What Kind of Butterfly is This?




This beautiful yellow and black creature floated across my porch this morning. I stood and watched him for a minute knowing that by the time I grabbed my camera, he'd be gone, but I took a chance and when I got back he was still there. I took one picture through the glass door(not shown here), and then sneaked out the kitchen door and slipped around to the front and snapped a few pics. He flew up and toward me, and I figured that would be all I'd get, but he soon landed on another flower and allowed me to get quite close for these pictures.
Monarch's are what we have most of in this area, but I'm not sure if that is what this one is. If you are a butterfly officianado and recognize this one, please let me know what it is. I was just tickled to get a picture of it.
What beautiful thing have you seen this morning?
Hope you are having a great Tuesday. Do something silly. Make someone laugh.

6 comments:

Mary Despain said...

I don't nothing bout no butterflies Ms. Scarlett. Didn't I command you earlier to drive to Mississippi and kidnap my son back? What are you waiting on? Geesh.

Will said...

A quick Google search told me it's an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. Stunningly beautiful. Here's the link if you want to know more about your beauty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papilio_glaucus

Robbin said...

Oh Shirley, lucky you, the photos are beautiful. I have the worse luck trying to take pictures of butterflies. He's bringing you LUCK!

IzzyBeth said...

I love butterflies. Beautiful pictures!

Marcie said...

I agree with Will. I have those beauties in my butterfly garden often. What a gorgeous photo you took! :)

Lisa said...

Doesn't it do the heart so much good to see such a thing of beauty. I love being home and watching nature all around. Love the pictures, glad you were able to catch some good shots.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*