Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What Can I Say About Tuesday?

It was a dark and stormy night! No, wait, that was the way Snoopy always started his story. In fact, it's an absolutely gorgeous day here in NE Arkansas. It's afternoon already--sorry for the late post--and it's 91 degrees. Fortunately, I work in a cool place with a window that allows me to see what is going on outside.

I'm always amazed at how the seasons progress. Only a few days ago, it was too wet to plant cotton. Now that cotton is at least 8 to 10 inches tall and looks perfect. We are into the wheat harvest now and every afternoon as I make my way home, I see black billowing smoke as the stubble is being burned off to make way for soybeans. Early soybeans are about the same size as the cotton and many people can't tell the difference from the road. But when you've lived as close to the fields and have chopped as much cotton as I have(and I haven't chopped nearly as much a a lot of people) you can tell the difference.

When my dad farmed, we grew cotton, soybeans, wheat, corn and some milo. Rice was just beginning to get it's foothold in our area about the time he retired. We chopped and picked(by hand) the cotton. Most everything else was cut with machinery. Occasionally, if we had a small patch of corn that we were raising for feed, we would pick it by hand. Nowdays there is very little work done on the farm by hand, although, I did see some people chopping cotton one day. My heart went out to them.

And now it's only a few days until July 4th. You had to have your crops 'laid by' in time for the 4th. That meant that all the work was done and you would now wait until time for the harvest. I think also, that after the 4th, it was just about too hot to be out working in the fields anyway.

I'm looking forward to the 4th this year. I'm hoping that my children and I can get together for a bbq, some potato salad and banana pudding. Those are the main dishes for most of our get-togethers. Daughter #2 makes some mean deviled eggs too and I'm sure there will be a pot of baked beans. As the Bush Baked Bean commercial says, 'it's just not a bbq without baked beans'.

What are you doing for the 4th? I wish all our blog friends could get together and have a huge, and I mean huge picnic. Wouldn't that be fun?

Tomorrow is my friend Mona'a birthday. I won't tell you how old she is, but she will be one year older than I for 6 months and I'll be 60 on my next birthday. Several of us gals, are taking her to the movie tonight. Don't know what we'll see, really don't care. It's the fellowship with these women that I'm looking forward to. Wish you could join us.

Hope you are having a great Tuesday. Do something silly. Make someone laugh.

9 comments:

Tara Smith said...

Mmm...devilled eggs. I'm hungry.

Jeremy despises the smell of boiling eggs so he just loathes the fact that I always bring devilled eggs to family gatherings.

Mary Despain said...

What can you say about Tuesday? Well it's not Friday, that's what you can about Tuesday.

The crazies are out and I can't go home and get away from them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great menu.

My daughter and her roommate have invited me to join them and some of their co-workers on the 4th. I'm sure I'll be the only almost-Medicare age person there, but I'm looking forward to it.

Blessed said...

For the 4th - I think we're going to the inlaws for a bbq. Maybe we'll go fishing in the morning...

As for Tuesday, at least it isn't Monday anymore... :)

Chelsea said...

So, I understand you want to knit some socks. If you can knit, purl, knit in the round on dpns or circs, pick up stitches, decrease, understand short-rows and kitchener stitch, you shouldn't have a problem with socks. A pair of socks was the 2nd or 3rd object I ever knit. The time it takes to knit socks depends on how fast you knit, your gauge, how complicated the pattern is,and how much free time you have so I can't really estimate for you. I left a comment on my post from yesterday in reply to your previous comment which may have some other info. If you want some more info email me at chelsea.welp@gmail.com and I will see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

I remember the first and only time I saw cotton in a field. I could have just stared and stared.

The barbecue sounds great I wish all the bloggers could do that too.

I'm so sorry about your friend Linda.

IzzyBeth said...

you're making me hungry . . .

Anonymous said...

Not sure about the 4th yet.
My husband is a pyrotechnician and he will be away doing a fireworks show.

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I'm staying home for the holiday. Maybe invite some crazy relatives to the farm! :-)

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*