Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bloom Where You Are Planted!

We talked about blooming where we are planted in our Ladie's Bible Class last night. Several people had thoughts on the different places they'd been planted in their lives--moves, new jobs, that sort of thing.

But then we went a step further. What kind of a bloom are you? She used the illustration of a sunflower and how once the bloom forms, it follows the sun. If you've ever noticed a field of sunflowers they look different at various times of the day. That is because the bloom is following the sun. Her question then was, 'Does your bloom follow the SON?' This made a profound statement to me. Am I following the SON 24/7? Or do I just turn my face in His direction when I need something? Do I forget that I should be looking in His direction as I sit at my desk and work? Do I forget that I should be looking in His direction as I pump gas? I'm afraid the answer to both those questions and others is yes, I do sometimes forget.

Then we talked about whether we were sunflowers or african violets. The sunflower can grow most anywere, has a sturdy stalk, doesn't need much water and produces hundreds and hundreds of seeds. The african violet is picky about the soil, the amount of water, and the handling--she called it persnickety. Am I producing seeds or am I just sitting waiting to be pampered?

Please Lord let me be a sunflower!

What kind of flower are you? Are you blooming where you are planted? Does your face follow the SON?

Hope you are having a great Thursday. Do something silly. Make someone smile.

11 comments:

Vintage Chicken said...

I wish I could say I was a 'sonflower' but unfortunately I'm afraid I am more of an African Violet? OOPS???

Thanks for the reminder, I will try harder to follow the 'son'... and drop more seeds!

Anonymous said...

Lately I feel like I'm even worse than a violet-maybe I'm a cactus.

I need to try harder to be a sunflower.

IzzyBeth said...

Wow, that was a good one! I try so hard to be a sunflower - but sometimes, I'm a dandelion (kind of plain, but pretty, and really hard to get rid of . . . HAHAHAHA)

Tara Smith said...

Daughter #1 is something thorny and thistly. Is "thistly" a word? It is now. Because I said so!

kimmy said...

Yes, it would take me away from the neighbor from "you know where." Another incentive to move!!!!

Kimmy

Mary Despain said...

my little sister has apparently forgotten that she has asked me to keep her 2 little weeds on June 19! Insert evil laugh here! I can't wait to corrupt their developing little brains. More evil laughter.

Tara Smith said...

Weeds? They're more like stargazer lillies or something equally beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I try to be a sunflower, but sometimes the humaness takes over and tend to lean toward the violet. The world would be a better place if there were more sunflowers.

Amy said...

Our minister talked about this a while back. I am just not sure what I would be - maybe a hydrangea as they are my favorites!

Robbin said...

Right now I need to be a Daisy, see my post from a few days ago. AND, go visit my blog as I've left you something there.

Lisa said...

I loved this posting. This is the you I am used to reading, thanks for the heart/soul touching thoughts. You are so inspiring and I thank you for that. I am not the Son flower that I should be, thank you for the reminder.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*