Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Tribute To A Friend

My friend Linda has been on my mind almost continually. But that's the way we are to pray - continually, and that's what I've been doing on her behalf. You see, she's nearing the end of her life.

I got acquainted with Linda about three years ago. At that time, she had gone through breast cancer, and reconstructive surgery. She actually caught my attention after the breast surgery when she wore a machine that was a drain contraption and it would periodically make a swooshing sound. She was apologetic about the noise, but nobody cared. We all knew it was necessary and we would much rather hear the soft whoosh occasionally than have her stay home from worship. At that time, she was deemed 'cancer free'.

In the last year, one of her checkup's began to cause concern. The cancer had returned and it was in her liver. She has gone through every kind of treatment the Dr's could think of to give her. She lost her hair, but never her dignity. The meds caused her joints to be stiff, she got a cane. She lost the feeling in her hands and feet, she just made sure she was careful. But the one thing she never lost was her ability to come to church.

Linda and her husband have no children. No one to help her during this trying time except her husband and her church family. She is one of the kindest people you would ever want to meet. She always has a smile and a friendly word.

She has been such an encouragement to me. She would probably tell you she came to church because it was the only time she could get out. But she came to church because of her deep abiding faith. She loves the Lord and wants to be in His presence along with her Christian brothers and sisters.

Within the next few days or possibly weeks, she won't have to come to worship to be in His presence. She will be making her journey home. We will miss her terribly, and our best memory of her will be her enduring strength and faith.

If you pray, please add to your list my friend Linda. My prayer for has changed over the last weeks, I started praying for her recovery, but since that wasn't in the Master's plan, I am now praying for an easy transition from this world to the next.

As a side note, I will be seeing an Ear, Nose and Throat Dr next week. I haven't been able to get over the congestion and cough that I have been dealing with for over a month. I haven't been able to get out and enjoy these cool days because I'm going to work, coming home and going to bed. And here it is the last day of spring.

This is also a difficult day for me. My mother died in an automobile accident 39 years ago today. I miss her each and every day since we lost her. You never get over needing your mom.

I hope you have a great Thursday(Is it Thursday already?) Do something silly. Make someone laugh.

5 comments:

Robbin said...

Shirley, I'm offering the same prayer that you are praying for your friend. I'm sorry. And I'll be thinking of you today and hoping a special memory of your mother will make you smile and carry you through the day. I can imagine how hard it was for you to lose your mother so young. Anyway, you are in my thoughts today, I'm there with you, and you go out and do something silly! I hope you start feeling better soon.

Lisa said...

You know I lost my dear friend in Sept. to breast cancer and it has been the hardest thing to deal with. She was truly my best friend. When she got sick I was so sad and my saddness caused her to distant herself from me. In her last months I was not with her, she was not calling me and I was hurt so badly. But just before she died she sent me an email telling me she missed me and I emailed her back, it was great to have reconnected. Then she passed away very suddenly. I can not tell you the pain I have suffered and I am still not over it. I miss her so badly. My pain is so little compared to losing your mother. I don't know how you keep going. How do people that are not Christains keep going with so much pain? I will pray for your friend, but I will pray for YOU. That you will be able to keep going after losing your friend. I will pray that you will have a day today on the anniversary of your own mothers death of peace and love. You will be on my mind.

Marge said...

Yes, it is already Thursday. Time is going so fast now, and now I want it to slow down so I can keep my mom a little longer. I'm sure what you say is true ~ that you never get over needing your mother ~ and this is what is in my near future. I will be thinking of you today on this anniversary as you face your memories. May they all be good ones. And your friend will also be in my thoughts and prayers. Wow, those prayer lists are getting long these days, aren't they? But today we can give thanks to God for the wonderful end to the hike of the two girls on Denali in Alaska. Knowing Abby's parents, sisters, uncles and grandparents, made the story very personal to me. Thank God they were rescued! Hope your day is filled with good thoughts and memories, and of course, God's richest blessings. Marge

IzzyBeth said...

Praying for you. Praying for your friend. And praying for all of us who might be having a rough time.

Tara Smith said...

Well, shoot. There went my mascara. It has been on all day, too. :)

Love Ya.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*