Thursday, February 14, 2008

Yipeee It's Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day. Not a national holiday(what a pity), but one of the biggest events this side of Christmas. I can't imagine how many flowers have been cut, balloons have been filled, cherries have been dipped, or how many diamonds have been bought.

However, I won't be getting any. Not that I've been bad or anything, it's just not a big deal to me. I don't have a husband to send or buy me anything, and I'd rather my kids spend their money on their respective husbands, wives and children.

I do remember valentines from the past. I remember having parties and exchanging cards with my classmates. We always decorated boxes and had contests. I don't remember what the prizes were, but that may be because mine never won anything, but it was fun. I remember looking through those cards for months. It's a shame I didn't save any of them.

Daughter # 2 has two little princesses. They have been working ov valentines for over a week. The youngest had Hanna Montana valentines. I don't know what the oldest had, but they were also putting together bags of candy and goodies for their classmates. The Blonde One was having her party today, while The Brunette One is having hers tomorrow. They will have a good time.

This is a good day to reflect on the people you love and those to whom you should have sent cards. I should have sent one to my BFF CP, and one to my other BFF MLH. I did get an electronic one from CP, and I saw MLH at lunch. CP has a birthday next week, so I have some things to send to her and I did get her a birthday card. She'd probably faint if I sent two cards in the same month. Probably think I only had a short time to live or something. She knows me too well.

A bit of trivia - Valentines day is said to have begun in AD 72 when a christian priest was being held in prison and fell in love with the jailer's daughter. He gave her a love note signing it 'from your valentine'. His name must have been valentine, else where would that name have originated. Who knows!

I hope everyone has a great day, and gets whatever they want on this wintery day of love.

No comments:

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*