Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and be one traveler, long I stood
and looked down one as long as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth....

I learned this poem by force in the 11th grade..so many years ago.

But I love this poem. It is so full of meaning, but I, unfortunately, haven't been very good at using it as a guide for my life. To me, the writer has obviously spent time pondering which road to take in life. Not me..oh no, not me. I've always been a fly by the seat of my pants kind of gal. You know, like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woaman. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a hooker, I just don't spend much time considering which way to go. It doesn't take me forever to make a decision--not necessarily a good thing--and I'm not hard to please. If I were, maybe it would take longer to make a decision.

I'm really bad about jumping into things long before I've thought about the consequences, and there have been consequences.

How about you? How many times have you jumped into something without attempting to look down that road as far as you could? I can't count the times myself. And I can't seem to break the habit. I could make a list a mile long of the times I've leapt before I looked. But then, just maybe, my life wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. I think you have to experience a certain amount of happiness, heartache, and uncertainty before you can feel your life is complete. Mine is just about as complete as it can possibly be.

Have a great day, and jump into something new today.

No comments:

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*