Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Our Crazy Planet!

It's storming here again this morning. We've had tornados in Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, and on across Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Twenty Three were killed in Oklahoma and Missouri.

The cyclone in Myranmar killed tens of thousands, and now the death toll is climbing in China from the earth quake.

The earth is groaning. Is it from the things we have done to it? Is it rebelling from years of abuse? I have a hard time getting on the band wagon and being what my son calls a 'tree hugger'. I believe in conservation and I have changed all my light bulbs out for those expensive ones that conserve energy. I had all new energy efficient windows and doors put in my house last year, and added all the insulation I could to my attic. I buy energy star appliances when I'm replacing those I have had for years.

But are all these disasters happening because of us, or are we in a cycle that occurs naturally every so often. I've heard arguments going both ways, and both seem to have legitimate claims.

I don't know why the storms come. I don't know why people are killed during these natural disasters(although personally, I think they should be called un-natural disasters).

When I was coming to work this morning, I could see the storm system that was coming. It isn't a hugh one, and to the south of it there was all this ground to cloud lightening, and on the north side, there was a pretty rainbow. Mother Nature's ranting to the south, and God's promise to the north. Do you think they're arguing about something? I don't know. I do know that my heart goes out to all those who are suffering because of all this stuff.

After Hurricane Katrina, that great sage and prophet Jimmy Buffet wrote a song that included the line,--If a hurricane doesn't leave you dead, it will make you strong. ------Breathe In, Breath Out, Move On. I wonder how strong these people who are dealing with all this turmoil are moving on? I don't know if I would have the strength.

Is it storming in your world this morning? I hope you are enjoying sunshine and comfortable temperatures. Let me know.

Have a Terrific Tuesday. Do something silly. Make someone laugh.

8 comments:

Mary Despain said...

It's storming where I am! Poor Will was in his room changing clothes this morning when it thundered loud enough that it sounded like a train had collided with our house and he came running out with his hair standing straight up! Of course, he hadn't combed it yet but he was still pretty scared. It isn't raining though.

On another note, I watching VH-1 last night and they were doing a rock doc on the 60's and free love. Since I don't remember the early 60's ( I wasn't born yet)I need you to tell me all about free love in LC, Arkansas. Was there any? Were you involved? Do I really want to know the answer to that question? It was very interesting. There's a part 2 on tonight. Can't wait!

Marge said...

It's not storming here, but we are expecting a rainy day. Our grass was mowed yesterday for the first time this spring, and all looks so green and fresh.

It is still storming in our family life right now, but we keep trying to remember that God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Only sometimes what He thinks we can handle is a bit more than we think we can handle!

Loved #1daughter's comment on the rock doc on free love in the 60s. I've seen that show, and sat with my mouth wide open the whole time! We sure didn't experience that "free" love stuff here in Minnesota......and I'm guessing Arkansas wasn't in on the whole thing either, was it?

I'm linking to you, is that okay?

~marge~

IzzyBeth said...

It is sunny and beautiful here!

Will said...

I think we are just visitors here. My faith tells me this is not my home, I'm just visiting. I do tell my kids that, "God created the world and we need to take care of God's creation." They hear it when an attempt at littering comes up...I still see the Indian crying and just can't take it.

I haven't really studied it enough to know if we are really hurting our world or just embracing a phase of conservatisim as we did when I was a kid (70's). There was a huge conservationist push then, too.

Storms are on our radar, spring in Oklahoma. I'll take this over the blistering heat that will be here before I know it.

barb said...

just happy to hear that you and your family are OK........I live by Jimmy Buffet songs since we lived so long in the Keys. Stay safe.

Lisa said...

Lots of storms in my neck of the woods too. Both in nature and in family. Good grief. Today we are due to get hit pretty hard again so we are ready for it. But I have to admit, I do love this time of year. I love the rain, the cool weather, the green green grass and leaves. Ok, between 3-4:00 it is due to hit. So be thinking of me at that time ok??? Oh, and by the way, grand kid alert. I get them this weekend!! Can't wait. Need my grandkid fix.

Anonymous said...

Can we please not even entertain the thought of our parents and the idea of "free love?" I didn't see the show, but I can only imagine.

I spent the evening being grossed out by Mike Rowe on "Dirty Jobs." He was inseminating Turkeys. It was fun.

Robbin said...

Very thoughtful post Shirley, and isn't it amazing how strong the human spiret is? And how resilient we are as people?

Hope you are having a good week.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*