Friday, May 09, 2008

Mother's Day This Sunday

This Sunday is Mother's Day. And first let me say that I hope all caregivers of children have a great day Sunday.

Some of us get to have our mothers longer than others. I lost mine when I was 19--just when I probably needed her most. In the blink of an eye she was gone in an automobile accident. I have a friend who lost her mother just a few months ago after a short bout of Cancer.

I always say I don't have a jealous bone in my body, but I am a bit envious of my friends who got to see their mothers grow old and have the opportunity to enjoy them in their 'old age'. There's so many things I would like to have asked my mother. Things about her childhood, and things about my childhood. Things like why she didn't beat me more often. I know I deserved it. And all those nameless people in the picture box. Who are they?

My friend was able to spend a lot of time with her mother. They were very close. Her mother was with her for every important event in her life--the birth of her children, the near loss of a grandchild, the cancer she survived, absolutely everything. And now she feels quite alone. Yes, she has her dear husband, her children and grandchildren, a sister and brother, but both her parents are now gone, and she has a huge empty spot where they were. I don't think you ever get to the point where you don't need your mom and dad-especially your mom.

She had a wonderful mom. I loved her too. Her name was Bess, and she is deeply missed.

Be good to your mom this Sunday. You may have a lot of wonderful women in your life, and you may even call some of them mom, but you only have one mother.

9 comments:

Mary Despain said...

Oh for the love of everything that is holy! You almost made me cry and I DON'T CRY! You're a great mom. That's why I insist on Green Acres for you. It's just down the road from me! You need to tell my siblings that I was here first and therefore I get get first dibs at you. When I need you, I need you and they should back off. They can have the left overs.

Will said...

Happy Mother's Day to you. Memories are sweet reminders of those you love. I'm not sure how I'll handle my parent's death...not well I'm sure.

IzzyBeth said...

I had to laugh at #1 daughter's comment. :-) It's weekends like these that I really miss my Grandma, who I spent most of my childhood with. But I have a lot of great memories - and this weekend, I'm making new memories with my kids!

Lisa said...

My cousin lost her mother at 13, my foreign exchange/new daughter lost her mother at 14, my step daughter lost her mother at 13, I think of these people often and how it must feel to not have their mom. The mother your friend lost a few months ago was one of my three best friends in the world. It has been very hard to deal with. I guess we should be thankful for what we have here on earth, but can sure look forward to being in heaven with lots of GREAT souls. Mothers are such blessings, I just wish all mothers knew how special they become when they give the miracle of life. Happy Mothers Day my dear friend. You have a great (crazy!) family, how blessed you are.

barb said...

What a so very sweet post..thank you! we lost our momma a few years ago and miss her daily - even tho I do talk to her in my teeny little mind daily, I miss her terribly. But what wonderful memories....Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your very sweet post. Your perspective was very wise.
I plan on letting the kids cook for me on Sunday and hopefully we can have some fun times together!

I wish the same for you and your kids!

Thanks for visiting!

tj said...

...What a great post! And so true too... I am sorry to hear that you lost your mother at such an early age. I can't imagine all of the questions you must have that have been left unanswered. I'm sure this tragedy has shaped you into who you are today. My mother passed away 10 years ago when I was 36 and it seems like I was so young to be without a mother - I still miss her terribly.

...By the way, thank you for visiting my place earlier - that was a cute comment that you left! ;o) And Happy Mother's Day to you!

...Blessings... :o)

Anonymous said...

Great post. I think any age is too young to lose your mother. I still think of things I'd love to ask my mother and I'm old!

Marge said...

Thank God today for the gift of mothers! My mom is 85 and having a really rough time right now......but I'm only 64 and I still need her. I pray God will allow me to have her awhile longer.....I'm too young for her to leave me. I can't imagine losing a mother so young. I hope you've found someone to be a special mother figure for you. Not to replace your mom, that can't ever happen. But I hope you have someone special in your life. And I loved #1daughter's comments! You sound like a wonderful mom to your children. They are blessed!

Blessings to you,
~marge~

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*