Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I Think I'm Going To Live!

I don't know if I'm happy about that last statement or not. This week, death could definitely be a blessing. Fortunately, I guess God's not ready for me yet. Knowing everything I needed to accomplish this week, I decided the best thing for me was to go to my Doc and see what she could do for me.

I gave my symptons, and asked for that 'miracle cure' that I know she keeps somewhere. I love Doc. She's like one of my children, especially since I've known her since since she was about two. Her mother and I have been friends since before she and Doc's dad married. Her dad and my 1st husband went to school and graduated together.

Anyway, she gave instructions for the nurse to give me a decadron shot. When she came in, she said, 'I have your miracle cure' and with that she injected me in the hip. She said not to be alarmed if I was up by 2:30 or 3AM cleaning house. I laughed thinking she was still teasing. I dragged myself home and managed to get on the couch and slept most of the afternoon, and by 8:30 I had gone to bed. My head hurt and I ached all over, but with the help of 3 tylenol, I finally got enough relief that I went to sleep. While I was lying there waiting for sleep, I kept thinking I'd be miserable all week.

About 1AM, I woke up, but managed to go back to sleep although, I did feel much better. Pain was gone, headache was down to a minor irration. But I still didn't think I could get up and do much. But I woke up again about 2:30 and this time there was no doubt I had to get up. It's about 4 now, and I have cleaned the bathroom, put clean sheets on the kid's bed and vaccumed their room.

I'm not going to tell you I feel completely 'up to snuff', but it's amazing what that shot has done for me. I also have a Z-pak I'm taking and something for congestion that is keeping me from coughing. I still have to sit down and rest often, but I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Life may continue to be worth living after all.

I know this post seems trite in view of all those struggling with real life threatening illness, but please don't take offense. I know first hand about those. I had one a few years ago and learned just what you go through when faced with the prospect of the possibility of your life ending. Unlike those who die suddenly, I had the opportunity to say goodbye to my loved ones, and then wake up to find I was still with them. I can't tell you what a gift that was. I thank God each day for allowing me to be alive and to spend time with my family and friends. I even thank God for all my trials and tribulations and I think that's what this 'cold' is, just a friendly reminder that I'm one of God's creations.

What friendly reminder have you suffered through lately?

Have a great Tuesday. Do something silly. Make someone laugh.

4 comments:

IzzyBeth said...

Wow! I'm glad you're feeling better!

I had a rough week last week, and it hit me really hard - but now I'm realizing that all of those things weren't really worth getting THAT worked up about. I hate it when I do that. God is in control - and I'm only human . . . thank goodness I am NOT in charge. :-)

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

I'm going to have to do something silly today to get out of my funk I'm having these last couple of days.

Thanks for the reminder!

Lisa said...

yea!!! You're better. Now you can enjoy the rest of your week. We are having company this weekend with family coming home. I still have the baby, and will for the rest of this week. Plans changed but I am flexible....I'm retired you know! She is sitting here helping me!!??? Have a great rest of your week. And TODAY is my birthday! ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

I had a health scare about a year ago. It showed me just how precious life it to me and all those around me.
God sends a rainbow in one form or another when I'm having a bad time with something.
It's his way of telling me everything will be okay!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*