Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Answer to my Baking Delima.

I posed a question about the difference between cake and regular flour. I got the following explanation from Will over at Teensy and the Boys.

Cake flour has more starch and less gluten, it's the softest of the wheat flours. Cake flour is good for things you want to be extra light and airy, cakes and cookies especially.I've always heard that for 1 cup of cake flour, substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. You also can try substituting 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch for every 1 cup of cake flour called for in a recipe.

This makes perfect sense to me, and I will try it next time a recipe calls for cake flour. Thanks Will for helping me out.

3 comments:

IzzyBeth said...

Wow. Thanks for the info.

Vintage Chicken said...

Well now we know!

Now, how am I supposed to remember this?

Memaw's memories said...

Amy, I thought the exact same thing, so I think I'm going to print off the info several times on one sheet of paper and paste or tape them into some of my cookbooks. Maybe in the back where you can add your own recipes or at the beginning of the baking section.

And something I just thought of, this info may be in the substitutions segment of some cookbooks.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*