Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Sock Has A Hole In It

And I haven't even worn it yet. My effort thus far is pictured here. The hole is in the extreme right center. It sorta looks like there's one on the opposite side, but I think that's just where the stitches are stretched. I decided, after reading some of Debbie Macomber's books that I wanted to learn to knit socks. I have knitted sweaters, scarves and dish cloths but I'd never thought I could tackle socks. And I thought if I could get good at it, I could make some for gifts. Daughter #2's youngest daughter loves socks. She won't go to bed at night without socks on even in the summer.

So, I bought a set of 4 needles, a pattern, and came home to get started. I was finishing another project(aren't you proud of me) so I didn't start immediately. But I got started the other night. Using four needles is clumsy. I have large hands and I think that probably made it worse, but I started.

These socks are made in a continuous circle(a very small circle-it's a sock, remember, can't be very big) and the first obstacle was to connect the first row in order to start the next. I finally got it connected, and went on. I have about 15 rows on my sock, but I noticed last night that I also have a hole. I'm assuming I dropped a stitch, but I'm not going back. After all this is a learning project. I'm using some thread I had, so I'm not ruining some expensive sock thread.

And just in case you doubt that I actually finished the other project. Here is is. I haven't starched and blocked it yet, but I think it's pretty cool. It was hard to do because it doesn't follow the typical crochet pattern going around and around. This went back and forth, and I was constantly tying off and re-attaching. But I think it turned out really well. My mother would be really proud of my effort. She crocheted a lot, and I have several of her doilies.



What project have you finished that you are really proud of? I have to know.

Have a wonderful Thursday. Do something silly. Make someone laugh.

6 comments:

Robbin said...

Very Beautiful Shirley, my grandmother that sort of work and my mom has them now. I know what hard work that is.
I'm proud of your accomplishment.

Marcie said...

lol. That was a really funny way to start a blog post: "My sock has a hole in it, and I haven't even worn it yet." You always make me chuckle.

You've shown some gorgeous projects in this post, Shirley! :)

Lisa said...

Oh that is just BEAUTIFUL. I get so jealous of you people that have so much talent. I have some things that my grandmother crocheted for me. And then I hung her picture beside it. Those things mean so much to me. And my grandpa made the frame it is in. So that is pretty neat huh? I am not talented with using my hands for crafty things. Except for hugging and loving my grand babies!

Anonymous said...

That butterfly is beautiful!
I'm not much into knitting. I like to crochet.
I'm most proud of my oven mitts. Like the ones I'm giving away on my blog.

Marge said...

Shirley, that crocheted butterfly is absolutely beautiful! I do not crochet, knit or embroider. I only sew and quilt, but have so much respect for you that can do the finer skills.

I have completed nothing recently! I've been so busy with the mom duties that I've not done any sewing or quilting for months. I have a quilt that is done except for the binding. And I have a couple more quilts that need backing and quilting and I have fabric for a few more......I could buy fabric every day and not get tired of it! You know the saying "She who dies with the most fabric wins!"

Blessings on your day,
Marge

MaBunny said...

I'm proud of my lapghans. I just learned to crochet last year and have made 4 so far. Can't remember what posts they are on, but I made one for Coffee Bean too, and hers is posted on her blog:)0
Have a great day!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*