Friday, October 24, 2008

Nights in Rodanthe

I told you yesterday I was going to the movie last night to see Nights in Rodanthe. And I also told you I'd give my opinion here.

I read this book probably 2 maybe 3 years ago and absolutely loved it. I thought it was a good story plot and very well written. I am a big fan of Nicholas Sparks and have most of his books. The other books that have been made into movies(Message In a Bottle, The Notebook, The Wedding and A Walk to Remember) have all been great, and I thought stayed true to the book. I understand you have to have some fill in stuff, like memories of things that happened to bring the character to this point in life, and that's ok.

I also thought that by now, Sparks had made enough money that he wouldn't allow anyone to re-write his characters, along with where and how they fit into the story line. Obviously, I was wrong. Some of the people are missing, others have been added. The story line changed, not for the better.

My friend to my left had just re-read the book, so she was up on all the twists and turns. She immediately began pointing out the differences in the book and the movie. I won't tell you about the plot changes in the event you haven't read the book, and are planning to see the movie.

I'll allow you to read the book so you can spot the changes for yourself. It left me feeling sad for what had been done to such a good book. It was still a chick flick, girl loses boy, boy wants to come back, girl finds new boy, yada, yada, yada.

I found many of the scenes awkard with no flow, rhyme or reason. Oh yeah, and the beach house reminded me of the houses in Popeye. Everytime I saw the house, the song to Popeye came into mind.

There was some really good music in the movie. Diane Lane has had better material(Remember, Under The Tuscan Sun? and Unfaithful, the movie she was in with Richard Gere where she was an unfaithful wife?)

She was also in Lonesome Dove, which I'd totally forgotten about until I googled her.

And with that I will end my diatribe and move on.

Have you read any of Mary Kay Andrews' books? I'm reading my third one--Savannah Blues, I've read Itty Bitty Lies and Savannah Breeze. They take some pretty interesting twists and are funny at the same time.

What have you looked forward to for some time, and then was disappointed about? Happens to me all the time. Like the Pumpkin Patch, and other things that I think will be fun for the kids or me, only to be let down.

I am looking forward to spending the weekend with he gang up at the lake in a few weeks. The tourists will be gone and we'll have the place to ourselves. One of the girls and her family owns it. Thing is, I know I won't be disappointed when we go, we always have a good time when we're together.

Hope you are having the Friday you wished for. Pray for our country, and love one another.

4 comments:

Marge said...

I absolutely loved "The Secret Life of Bees" ~ the book. Now the movie is out and I'm scared to see it because I'm afraid it won't live up to the book.

I haven't seen "Nights in Rodanthe" but will soon. I have enjoyed the other Sparks' books that have been made into movies.

My first, and biggest, disapppointment of books made into movies happened eons ago......the book "Gone With the Wind" was better than the movie! And I loved the movie! Maybe I should stick with the books?

Thanks for the review. I'll still see the movie.

Blessings on your weekend.
Marge

Robbin said...

Thanks for the review, I've not read the book, maybe I'll just see the movie when it comes out on DVD. I hope you have a good day and your trip sounds wonderful. I have this urge to go fishing, lol. I've not been fishing in years. But I'd like to go fishing, go figure!

Lisa said...

Sounds like you are always out having a good time...three cheers for you. Keep reading the books, just in case they don't make a movie!!

Tammy Brierly said...

Bummer! I'll read the book instead. Thanks!

Happy weekend!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*