Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Proved It Yesterday

Yes, blog friends, I proved yesterday that I can say more about nothing than anyone you've ever seen.

I've always been a talker. I'm the youngest of my graduating class. I started to school when I was 5 and we didn't have kindergarten. You might think I did this because I was so smart, ha! Let me set the record straight on that one right here and now. I wasn't any smarter than the average 5 year old.

I have known for some time why my mother started me to school at the tender young age of 5. It was because she was tired of listening to me talk all the time. I also think that was probably the thing I got into trouble for most at school.

When I was a little girl between the third and fourth grade(probably 8), my family(mom, dad, my older brother and my new baby brother and my dad's sister's family) all went to see one of dad's uncles and aunt. They lived about a hundred miles and we all made the trip and stayed three or four days. It was quite exciting to take this trip. One of the things was that my older brother and I had to ride in the back of the truck all the way as did my cousins in the other truck, but I digress.

When we got there, other family members began to gather in. There were cousins I'd never seen before, and evidently we had a lot of lost time to make up. The first night we all went to bed--all us kids were on pallets on the floor, and I was so excited to find these long lost relatives that I just couldn't stop talking. My dad finally got up, took me outside and spanked me. I guess that was a mood breaker, because we all went to sleep.

Many years later, I had taken my children to the lake not too far from where these relatives lived, so one afternoon, we drove over and visited. I'll never forget one thing my great-uncle said when we visited that day. He said he'd never known one little girl could talk so much. I didn't take offense. I thought it was funny, and in truth, if he hadn't relayed the story, I couldn't have told it here, because I didn't really remember it all. Oh, I remembered the trip, and I remember the spanking--which probably hurt my pride much more than my behind, but I didn't remember that it all was because of my inability to shut my mouth.

Well guess what. I still find it hard to shut my mouth. I talk a lot(probably dominate conversations even though I don't mean to) and I'll absolutely talk to anyone. I even talked to a young man walking down the isle at Target today. Most people will talk to you if you start the conversation. Oh, and my son is just like me, maybe even more so. We can go into a restaurant in a town we've never been before, and before we leave, you really think he knew the people around us and was just catching up. He does this a lot with older people, and they all seem to love it.

Have you struck up a conversation with a stranger lately? You know we entertain angels unaware. I challenge you to do just that. While you are standing in line, or walking beside a stranger on the street, see if you can engage them in conversation. You may be the only person whose been kind enough to speak to them today. And it's fun, believe me. Try it and come back to this post and tell me about it. Betcha you'll feel better afterward.

Have a great Thursday. Pray for our country. But most of all, love one another.

2 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i wrote millions of sentances when in elementary school and got many spankings becuase i have never met a stranger and I too love to talk... my daughter has the same bug... when she was little we always feared she would be taken but then we would laugh and say but they would bring her back and pay us to keep her because that kid NEVER shuts up... she still does not!

Debra said...

I, for one, enjoy your conversations! My husband is a talker like that, he never meets a stranger!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*