Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day To You!


Were there ever any snakes in Ireland? I find it hard to believe that any one could run them all out if there indeed were snakes there. But it makes for a good opportunity to enjoy the day, cook some unusual food, wear something green, and for those who imbibe, it's another excuse to get drunk.

My youngest granddaughter spent the night with me last night. She didn't have anything green, so I made her a 3 leaf clover out of ric rack, added a pearl, and hot glued it to a barrett. I hope it stayed in her hair.

I was with a friend in Savannah one year just a couple weeks after St. Patrick's Day. This is a big holiday there. The gal driving the tour train said that eveyone in Savannah was Irish on March 17th. I think Jackson, Mississippi has a big parade and party on this day as well. I think this is the holiday that the Sweet Potato Queens participate in a parade too.

To my knowledge, there aren't any really big parties around my neck of the woods, but to all those who get wound up for this holiday, I hope it is all you want it to be. I'm thinking in honor of the day, I may watch 'The Quiet Man' with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara tonight. You can't get any more Irish than that.

I hope you are having a good St. Patty's Day. Pray for all those who will end up in jail for their celebrations. Love one another.

3 comments:

Flea said...

Oh! I'm going to have to dig out The Quiet Man as well. It's one of my favorite movies. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. Memaw!

Mary Despain said...

Well of course you're going to watch John Wayne on St. Patrick's Day. What else would you do?

Julia said...

We don't do much celebrating for St. Patty either. We do wear green so that no one will pinch us. The nursing home where my mom is had cake and coke. My church hosted a Lenten Luncheon and most people had on green and the decorations were shamrocks. That's it!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*