Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane

Tomorrow, I'll be on vacation for several days. I fly out of Little Rock at noon tomorrow reaching the Rio Grande Valley(Harlingen,TX) around 5pm. I won't be back to work until the following Wednesday, the 18th.

My friend Carolyn lives there and I'm going to visit her and her husband. I'm excited about seeing my good friends. I don't get to see them often even though we speak on the phone and email often. I am also looking forward to the warm days and not having to worry about the freezing temperatures that will be going on here.

I always have a wonderful time when I go visit. We relax, eat, go to the beach, eat, shop, eat, oh and did I mention we eat. If you like Mexican or Tex/Mex food, you can find the absolute best in that area.

More about the food--we usually eat Chinese or Italian in Harlingen. Then at some point, we'll go to Brownsville and eat at Vermillions. Their food is to die for. We usually go to one of the restaurants on South Padre Island too. They have some great hamburgers on the island. Sometimes we eat a samich in a place in Port Isabel. There's nothing like fresh seafood, and you can get whatever you want there. We could also possibly go by Harley's to listen to some music at some point.

After being on hold with the passport people, I found out that it was mailed yesterday and was sent priority mail. I called the post office at home, and Carletta will pull it out if it's in the morning mail and I'll go by and pick it up. If it isn't there, she will overnight it to me the next day. Then we will be able to go across the border one day. We usually eat at Garcia's or LaFagota. These places have food choices you don't see in the good old U S of A. Nothing like Anthony Boudain eats, but really good things. One time as a vegetable we got onions cooked in oil(not fried)with a bayleaf. Another time I got carrot soup. You just don't see those listed on too many menus here. But both were very good. I've cooked the onions before, but can't replicate the soup.

Now that I know my passport is coming, I'm beginning to get excited.

Hopefully, I'll get to post while I'm there, but will probably have to wait for pictures.

Hope you are having a great Wednesday. Pray for our country. Love one another.

6 comments:

Tara Smith said...

Please take it easy on the margaritas and the panchos nachos.

Oh, and don't back Carolyn's truck into any light poles, either.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun trip!!! Enjoy it!

Robbin said...

Wishing you a wonderful vacation and some rest and fun with your friends and yum at all that good food! And yes, please post pics!
ANd be GOOD!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

oh have FUNNNNNNNNNN see you when you get back :)

Vintage Chicken said...

Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip!

Can't wait to see the pictures! You did pack your camera? Right?

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great trip! Also, I love the photo you added to your about section. :)

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*