Tuesday, November 17, 2009

LOSS

We all have Loss in our lives. Today my friend is suffering loss in her life. On this wet chilly November morning, her husband of over 40 years lost his battle with cancer.

When you marry, the Bible says that two become one. Therefore, when one is gone, the other is no longer whole. It will take some time before she will be able to move as one person again. Over 40 years of being connected will be difficult to disconnect.

Then it's time to reflect. I've known my friend since 1st grade. I've known her husband since 7th grade. My friend is my age. Her husband a bit older. My family lived down a dusty country road from his. He was one of 10 children whose family were cotton farmers. He had his share of difficulties with a bone disease that caused him to walk on crutches for a couple of years. But he survived that. Just after he graduated from high school, he was in an automobile accident that almost took his life. He survived that also.

What do we have here? We have a couple of country farm kids who basically started with just each other. They brought 3 children into this world, who are now grown, educated, successful people with families of their own. They weathered over forty years of hard work. They had difficult times, but they continued to labor together. These days that is a mark of great commitment. His struggles are over. He is in a better place. His family already looks forward to the day they can be with him again.

Please pray for this family, that they may make it through the next few days, and that God holds them in his hand and gives them the strength to endure.

I hope you are having a good Tuesday. Pray for our country. Love one another.

4 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
I will keep you, her and her family in my prayers.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

thoughts and prayers... too many are going through this...

Vintage Chicken said...

So difficult to go through this...will be praying for comfort for your friend and her family.

It isn't easy to get over, my father died at 55 from leukemia - none of us were ready for that empty feeling. After 15 years, I think we are all still recovering in our own way. It took my mom about 2 years to find her 'new normal' and at times it's still very fresh.

Robbin said...

Sending prayers to you and your friend. She's lucky to have you in her life.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*