Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I Promise, It's My Oven

I don't cook nearly as much as I used to. Now I haven't worn out too many stoves. Although I’ve used some that were worn out. And there was a time when I could put a fairly tasty meal on the table. Even back in the beans, fried potatoes and cornbread days.

But for some time now, it seemed everything I put in the oven had to cook a bit longer than the directions/recipe said. And strange part is, I bought a new range less than two years ago. It's gas, but has a digital panel to set the time and temp so I thought I was all set.

The most puzzling thing was that a cake mix in two pans seemed to bake fine, but let me try to make a bundt cake with or without a cake mix in the ingredients and it would always flop. At first I thought it was my ingredients. Since I don’t bake as much as I used to, I figured my baking powder was old. Or some other ingredient wasn’t good. So I even bought all new ingredients. Still flopped.

Then a few days ago, I was reading a blog that had a recipe. The person had made some comments about how their recipe had turned out, and had mentioned it was very important that the temperature be at the exact setting as shown on the recipe. This person even went on to say you should never trust your oven settings. They could be ‘off’. DUH! Do you think? I put an oven thermometer in my oven, and sure enough, it’s off between 40 and 50 degrees depending on what the setting.

I was making cheese biscuits. The recipe said 45o, so that’s where I set my oven. When it beeped, I checked the temp and it was only 350. I thought I’d give it a few minutes, and it eventually got to 400 and that’s where it stopped. It wasn’t until I set the temp on 500 that it finally got to 450. Who would have thought?

So now, I’ve got to dig out my papers on the stove and hope it’s still under some type of warranty and regardless of whether it is or not, have it checked out. Surely there’s a way to adjust the burner in the oven, but my son said he’d never heard of having to do that. And I have to give him credit, he’s the one who suggested contacting the company.

Well with that startling revelation about stoves, I hope you’ve had a great Tuesday and that all your baking has been perfect. Pray for our country. Love one another.

5 comments:

Vintage Chicken said...

So what are you trying to say? Is this post leading up to the fact that you CAN'T cook the Turkey for Thanksgiving???? LOL

Mary Despain said...

Amy I think that's exactly where she's trying to go with this post!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

on the same vein as that... i love my crock pots... and told my hubby and son last night... i think mine are not heating like they used to cause when i put the pork roast in on high yesterday afternoon it should have been done in 4 to 5 hours... it took nearly 9 to get done... so do crock pots slowly die??? if so i have 5 that i love that need replaced

Laura ~Peach~ said...

never bake a turkey ... invest in a rotrsserie... you will never want one any other way after having one cooked in it plus 2 and a half hours and a 24 pound turkey is DONE....

Twisted Fencepost said...

I know that directions say "oven temps may vary", but I never dreamed one would vary by that amount of temperature.
Good luck getting it fixed!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*