Monday, November 09, 2009

I'm Disappointed in my Pecan Tree

The pecans are beginning to fall here on campus. We've been having warm days and windy nights, and lots of leaves have fallen. Some of the people here in the office go at lunch and pick up pecans. There's probably 40 or 50 trees here, and they aren't the big papershell, they are what we call 'Stewarts', about as big as your thumb and have a very tasty nut inside.

I haven't been going with them to pick up nuts because I have a tree in my back yard. So on Saturday, a beautiful fall day, I might add, I took a container and headed into the back yard. What did I find when I got there? Well, there was one thing I definitely did not find--PECANS! No not nary a one. I immediately think, 'those darn squirrels', but when I look up in the tree, I realize that the poor squirrels are going to be hungry this winter. There aren't even any burrs on the limbs where any nuts have fallen. I've lived in my house for 10 years, and this is the second time there have been no nuts.

Needless to say, I was disappointed. I was looking forward to using my nutcracker to bust them, and then sitting and watching tv while I picked out the nuts. Guess I'll have to find something else to fill my time.

I have 3 and possibly 4 dresses to smock for Christmas, and I'm planning to make pj's for the kids, so I guess it's time I got started on that.

Hope you are having a great Monday. Pray for our country. Love one another.

2 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

you asked about mice stoppage... this is what we did 18 years ago... i got a neighbor girl who was skinney as a rail...I was very pregnant with martha and could not squirm into the nooks and crannys...and we went to the dollar store and bought a couple bags of steel wool and rolls of duct tape... we then went from end to end in the house... every room was searched every corner every cabinet every where that had pipes or any way a mouse could come inside... we stuffed every crack with steel wool then duct taped it really well so that a mouse could not chew to make a bigger hole and the tape was to keep the little smarty pants from removing the steel wool (we had a mouse steal our spring loaded trap!) anyway once we caught the mouse that had been terrorizing me... we had no more mices...about 2 years ago I noticed a couple turds under our bathroom sink in the cabinet... so we re did around the pipes and in the cracks at that back of the cabinet... I kept telling my hubby that i heard a mouse chewing... anyway... no more turds and so far thats the only place we had to re wool and tape.
No cats allowed in the house... hank is an outside cat and he would not be here had i not tamed him. :)
hugs Laura

Twisted Fencepost said...

Send those squirrels over here. My hickory tree is loaded! And the ground is covered.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*