Thursday, November 06, 2008

What Do You Watch On TV?

I've had a rude awakening this week. Well, maybe not rude, but interesting. I got a call a couple of weeks ago from the Nielson TV Ratings group asking me if I watched TV and how many TV's I had in my house.

After politely answering their questions, they asked if I would keep a diary for each TV, and I said yes. I got them in the mail, and kept track of what I watched.

If TV is supposed to be entertaining, I'm in the right place. If it is supposed to be informative, I'm really behind. If it is supposed to be educational, I've fallen into a pit I can't get out of.

One thing I noticed is that I watch none of the new programs on TV, with the exception of Huckabee on Fox. I do watch Fox and Friends while I'm getting ready for work, but the rest of the time, I watch things that have no value. Most of what I watch are either TV Land stuff, like Mash, The Beverly Hillbillies, 3rd Rock from Sun.

My other favorite channel is AMC, where I get my John Wayne fix every week. And I get a few movies on USA.

I really thought I was deeper than that, or maybe I just find that I don't have to see so much sex and naked bodies in the old programs. Except for Dancing with the Stars. I can remember when my mother wouldn't let us watch Red Skelton(I'm dating myself here) because his show was 'dirty'. By today's standards, he's clean as a whistle.

How do you lean on programming. Do you watch things that have to have words bleeped to be on. Or do you go with the safer programs on TVLand?

Have a great Thursday. Pray for our country. Love one another.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

OH I LOVE TV. I wish I didn't. and I wish I was brave enought to just shut it off, get rid of it, but I can't. I watch several reality shows, The Amazing Race, and Survivor! Those are two of my favorites. I watch Extreme HomeMakeOver every Sunday, and Desparate Housewives too. I love the cop shows (now that I am retired, would not have watched them while workin!) like COPS, and Beach Patrol, things like that. I HATE CSI of any kind, I don't watch History or Discovery Channels. I love TLC home shows, and I watch As The World Turns although I am not pleased with it, and go days with out watching. Can catch up in one show every week or two! Yes, I watch way too much TV. And I always watch the news every day, pretty much morning, noon and evening, then again at 10:00. Goodness, no wonder I have gained 20 pounds since I have retired!

Marge said...

I am a news junkie, and if I'm in the house working or whatever, I have Fox News on. I also watch PBS sometimes, and the History and Discovery and Travel channels. I like the Amazing Race because of the travel to remote places. And I love Grey's Anatomy (except for a few of the current story lines...... ick!) I also like HGTV.....just dreaming, I guess.

What I cannot stand are the CSI types of shows, or the COPS shows or any crime show. On those COPS shows I see FASD everywhere, and just wonder how much less our crime rate would be if those people wouldn't drink!

Most of the time I am either on the computer or sewing or cooking with the TV on for company. Not exactly watching very closely!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

there are a few shows I LOVE... House, American Idol, so you think you can dance, law and order SVU, ALl my children (horrid show for sex lies and baloney but I have watched it since 1983) weather channel is on alot, I am bad about listening to the tv and be messing online reading blogs, emails, or playing games I like word games.

Vintage Chicken said...

Well... my kids and I are hard and fast Nick-at-Night Tv fans and we don't watch any network programming.

I think the shows are all filthy and really now... how many police and murder/detective shows do you have to see in one week to figure out that the world is full of crime. I would just prefer to turn on my old 1980's sitcoms and think everything is good in the world. LOL

Twisted Fencepost said...

Personally,
I don't watch a lot of tv.
I stay to busy elsewhere.
But when I do, I like to watch CSI, Bones, Reba and The Ghost Whisperer.

Lisa said...

please come over and play the anniversary game test with us!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*