Thursday, November 20, 2008

Crockpot Dressing

I have had a couple of folks ask for the crockpot dressing recipe. And just who am I not to share. Here it is with no pictures, no frills, just the recipe. Hope, if you make it, you enjoy it as much as my family does. I even gave it to my daughter's mother-in-law and now she's the official dressing officionado in their family. Wonder, if since it came from Ryan's magazine, I should call it Ryan's Crockpot Dressing--naa, think I'll take credit.

Shirley's Crockpot Dressing.

1 – 8” pan cooked cornbread
8 slices day old bread
4 eggs
1 medium onion chopped
1 can cream of celery soup
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans chicken broth
1 ½ Tablespoons sage
1 Teaspoon salt
½ Teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons butter.

Crumble breads and add all ingredients except margarine. Pour into crockpot and dot with butter. Cook on high 3 hours or low 3 to 4 hours. Stir half way through.

If I cook a chicken to put in it, I use 32 ounces of my chicken broth. I also heat the broth. It seems to help with the mixing of the breads. If I use hot broth, I wait until I’ve put in the other ingredients so as not to cook them.

I also cook my onion in my cornbread. My bunch doesn’t like to find pieces of onion, and if they cook in the cornbread and then a bit more in the dressing, you can’t find them.

Sometimes, I boil 3 or 4 eggs and cut them up in the dressing.

I also splurge and buy those crockpot cooking bags. Makes cleanup a snap.

I also think if you wanted to, you could put this dressing in the oven and bake it for an hour or so at 350 degrees. It makes a very moist dressing, and everyone that has eaten it likes it.

The other thing I made this weekend is Pioneer Woman's Olive Cheese Bread. It was delish. It's on her blog. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/recipe-file/

10 comments:

Mary Despain said...

So where's my bowl of dressing? And BTW, I love onions. It's daughter #2 that doesn't like them. Can we send her back?

Vintage Chicken said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I've been going off of memory and tons of sample tastings to get my dressing 'right'. I am going to give this easy recipe a try.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

OH... and tell Daughter #1, that NO you can't send Daughter #2 back...the coupon has expired...LOL
I can say that because I'm a Daughter #2 and my older sister has been trying to rid her world of me for almost 40 years! Oh well??

Marge said...

Love it when your daughters comment!

Thank for the recipe! And blessings on your weekend.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness, I hate to tell you but I have never made dressing except for the occassional Stove Top stuffing. Isn't that terrible? And I have never heard of crockpot liners, where in the world to you get those???? Have a great weekend.

Robbin said...

Happy Thanksgiving Shirley, hope your day is wonderful.

Beth said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! =)

Lisa said...

Ok, I sure hope to hear from you today....missed you, but hope you had a great holiday.

Vintage Chicken said...

The DRESSING was GREAT!!!

This is definitely a keeper recipe!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I would like to use this recipe. What size crock pot do you use? I'm thinking I'll use my larger crock pot and double the recipe. By the way I'm from Arkansas too!

Memaw's memories said...

I make the dressing in a oval shaped crockpot and the recipe makes it about 3/4's full. I started making it originally in my first crockpot. The old round ones.

I think if you double it, you will have too much for an oval one, but you can put the overflow in a pan and put it in the oven, or freezeit for later.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*