Monday, November 03, 2008

Huckabee and Richard Dreyfuss

I watched Mike Huckabee's program last night. He had Richard Dreyfuss on and I'm not sure I agree with everything he had to say last night, however; what he had to say about what people know about our government and how it is set up and runs made a lot of sense.

I know for a fact I don't know enough about who does what. I know that in the event something happens to the president, the vice president takes over. If something happens to the vice president, then the speaker of the house is next in line.

I know there are 100 US senators, 2 from each state, and the house representatives are determined by populations of states.

But we need to know more. It may have been Huckabee that said our people don't know what makes our government run, but other countries do and that's the reason they want to come here. I had one year of government in high school. I've forgotten much of it.

We all take for granted what we have here. Perhaps we should not only study our government, but we should also study the governments of other countries. Then we might have more respect for ours and the advantages and liberties we have.

By the grace of God we born Americans are here. We have no idea the struggles others have endured to make it to our shores.

We should all find, purchase and read a book about the workings of our judicial system.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Hope you are having a good Monday. Pray for our country. Love one another.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love government, don't understand it, but I am also disappointed in that it has become so corrupt. I think of what you said about those before us. How hard they fought for our rights, for us in general and we take it for granted. We are very spoiled in this day and age. I hope tomorrow goes well, and I hope our next four years are as good as "they" promise. But I am not holding my breath!

Marcie said...

This is one that I am particularly enjoying about being back in college. I have taken Survey of American Government (all about how and why it is structured as it is) and then in my history courses we often touch on the "hows and whys" as well. Nice post; thought provoking!

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*