Monday, August 09, 2010

For Whom Do You Sew?

If you sew that is. I like to sew for my granddaughters, but I'm the one who needs clothes. I have very few dress clothes since I mostly wear jeans to work. But I have need of some things and I can't seem to find anything that fits.

I'm 5'3, and a petite fits in length as far as leg length. But from waist to crotch even a petite is too long. I have a pair of jeans that I've been wearning for 3 years and they are pretty worn. They are too long in the seat, but I wear them anyway. I decided since they are pretty much worn out, I'd make a pattern from them and see how that worked.


I've used garments to make new ones before. Sometimes I have good luck and sometimes it's a disaster. But during my spare time, I ripped one leg out of these jeans, pressed it and used it to make a new pair of slacks.

As you can see, I'm making a pair of white slacks. I got the fabric from Hancocks, and it has the best 'hand' of anything heavy enough to make slacks I've picked up in a while. I trimmed some off at the top so they wouldn't bee too long in the seat(we've already discussed that) and sewed them up in about an hour. They don't have a zipper, but they do have pockets. I don't like pants without pockets. I wore them to church Sunday morning with a white tank top and royal blue shirt with burnout segments in it. Needless to say, I looked like a top model(and if you believe that, I've got some swamp land south of town for sale--reasonable).

I like this pair of pants enough that I've dug out enough fabric to make another pair, and think I will make a couple of pair of capri's. I'm taking a short trip the end of the month, and having something nice to wear would be great.

I'm going to start the capri's tonight. I'll let you know if I finish them before I go to bed.

I hope you've started something new and exciting this week. Pray for a break in the heat. Love one another.

2 comments:

Marge said...

The heat and humidity, even way up in the north country of Minnesota, is oppressive. 106 heat index again today. I'm staying inside in the AC!

I have decided I am going to start sewing for myself again. I made my first dress when I was 10, and all through school and my first married years I sewed everything for myself and our oldest, a daughter. Then life got in the way!

But clothes don't fit me properly anymore either. I'm tall, 5'8", but I must be short in the crotch area because everything is too long on top and too short in the legs. You have put me in the mood! Thanks my friend!

Blessings
Marge

Twisted Fencepost said...

I had a sewing teacher take up a pattern once from a pair of jeans that I liked. It was a disaster. LOL
And you are right...we definitely DO need a break from this heat.

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*