Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spring Oh Spring, Where Art Thou!

I've gotten two seed catalogs recently. There's nothing I enjoy more than looking through these catalogs thinking of all the things I'd like to plant. I think about how good those tomatoes will taste not only during the summer months, but this next winter in canned tomatoes. How much I'll love making that fresh summer salad with cucumbers, onions, oil and vinegar. And some fresh corn. There's nothing like fresh corn. Oh, and do I want to plant hot peppers or sweet peppers, or maybe both. I had no idea there were so many varieties of peppers.
I remember my mother ordering her seeds and getting the package back with everything in it. The box would be much smaller than a shoe box, but would produce an acre of fresh food which wasn't allowed to go to waste. Aside from what we ate, she canned everything she grew in that garden.
I can't say I've ever been as good as she was when it came to waste. She believed in the old proverb, 'waste not, want not', and we never went a winter without good food. She even shared with family and friends who had not laid by in store as she had.
Then I get to thinking about all the hard work it takes to make that garden and how hot it will be when it's time to gather everything and all the late nights required to can and preserve everything. That makes me tired.
I end up not planting anything, and hoping that someone takes pity on me and gives me a few fresh tomatoes and maybe a mess of okra.
I know I sound much more like the grasshopper than the ant. I used to be the ant, but not anymore.
I hope your garden plans turn out better than mine will. Tell me how you plan for your garden to grow.
Have a great day. Pray for those less fortunate. Love one another.

No comments:

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*