Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cooler Weather

When I got home last night, my house was cold. In the 65 degree range. I got busy making dinner for myself and with the stove going in the kitchen, I was very comfortable.

Not wanting to turn on the central heat yet(you know how it smells when it is turned on for the first time all year) I thought the house would stay nice and toasty from the stove use. I was mistaken. By the time I went to bed, the house had cooled down into the high 50's, but after finding some warm pj's and getting under an extra blanket, I was soon comfortable and ready for a good night's sleep.

And yes, I slept like a baby in my mother's arms, but when I threw back the covers this morning, I was cold once again. Where did this cold weather come from you ask. I don't know. But just like the 'no spring' we had in the early part of the year, we are having the 'no fall' now. It was in the 80's the other day and now, today, it isn't even 50.

Needless to say that when I get home tonight, it will be time to get out the long lighter, grab a flashlight and attempt to get the pilot light lit and leave for a couple of hours so the 'smell' will be burnt out and I can stay warm.

I was hoping for a couple of weeks of mild weather so my utility meter could rest a bit. I've changed out almost all of my light bulbs for the energy efficient. I'm put in energy efficient windows, and now looks like it's time to add that extra 36 inches of insulation in the attic my son has been suggesting(yes son, I've been listening).

After all this complaining, it's time for me to add that I am most thankful that I live in an area that has not been tormented with Santa Ana winds and that sees only minor flooding from time to time. We have had an extremely dry summer, and the rain we've had has been welcome.

Thank you Dear Heavenly Father for all my wonderful blessings. Please give those in need the strength to make it through these trying times. Help the victims of fire and flood find the courage to overcome this adversity and to rebuild their lives.

No comments:

*/code I added/* */ code I added/*